Navigating a job search or career transition can be a difficult, confusing, and overwhelming process, but it doesn’t need to be. Having an experienced coach will accelerate your process of assessing your ideal position, prepare you to market your strengths and competencies, help you identify the best opportunities, prepare you to interview confidently and help you negotiate for the best compensation package.
The Aligned Career Coaching process provides a proven process, time-saving resources and on-going support. Throughout the process, the content and coaching is customized to meet your particular preferences.
A Proven Process
There are many key steps in the job search process. To land a great job as quickly as possible, it’s critical to not miss a step, or to do a step poorly. Each step of the job search process builds on the previous step, and is only as strong as the previous steps. For example, if you don’t have a strong knowledge of your strengths and accomplishments, your resume and LinkedIn profiles won’t be as convincing as they could be, and you won’t present your most competent and confident self in networking meetings and interviews. The result may be a longer job search, and not landing a great job that you’re well-qualified for.
I have been using and improving my job search strategy and tools for 20 years, with several hundred successful leaders and executives. As a result, my clients say they find jobs faster, with a better fit to their ideal job, and often with much higher financial package than if they had struggled through the process alone.
Throughout the coaching engagement, I provide a library of exercises, templates, examples and resources that accelerate the process and provide better results. They include:
- Exercises that uncover your towering strengths, your greatest interests and your work preferences;
- Access to several standardized assessment instruments, including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Korn Ferry Leadership Architect and the Birkman Method;
- Templates and examples of resumes in dozens of professions and industries;
- A guidebook on creating a great LinkedIn profile and using LinkedIn to network;
- Examples and templates for creating persuasive cover letters and correspondence;
- Preparation questions and materials for interviewing and negotiating your final job offer.
We generally meet weekly to keep you moving through the process, providing guidance, advice, accountability, encouragement and support. Coaching topics and sessions often include:
- Methods to help you get into and maintain a high-energy, positive perspective throughout the process;
- Expert advice on preparing and editing your resume and marketing materials;
- Access to my network of successful leaders and executives, recruiters, research and other resources;
- Practicing and preparing for interviews to increase your confidence and persuasiveness;
- Negotiating advice that can result in tens of thousands in additional compensation and benefits.
No one can tell you how long your job search is going to take. The length of your job search depends on many factors, including the job market, the demand for your skills, the depth of your network, your self-marketing expertise, the size of your geographic range, and how long you’re willing to wait for a great fit, or the best financial offer. But working with an expert coach should significantly accelerate your search, and result in a better fit and higher compensation than trying to navigate the process by yourself.